Skip Search
For exact phrase add quotation marks
page content
Skip page content

Dangerous Whistle

Yair, 8, was rushed to the Emergency Medicine Department (ER) at Schneider Children's after he inhaled a whistle
Date: 01.05.23 | Update: 09.05.23

Parts of the whistle, which remained in his lungs for two weeks and caused an infection manifested by continuous coughing and wheezing, were extracted in the operating room at Schneider Children's. Yair was discharged in stable condition following a short recuperation of two days.

Diana, Yair's mother, said that "at first, we did not notice anything strange. After several days, Yair began to cough and the doctors thought it was a virus and prescribed steroids. A week later, Yair started to wheeze and whistle when he exhaled and we decided to go to Schneider. They took x-rays and an ultrasound, but only after inserting a flexible bronchoscope into his airways, were they able to see three whistle parts in his right lung, which were extracted. We would like to thank the team at the hospital for their devoted care, and also send a message of warning to all parents."

Dr. Hagit Levin, senior physician in the Pulmonology Institute at Schneider Children's, confirmed the injury during the procedure, and how Yair was miraculously saved. "Instead of blowing out, Yair breathed in," she said. "It is very rare that a foreign body remains in the lungs for two weeks and not cause graver danger. Yair was very lucky. I caution parents not to allow small children to play with whistles, especially if they have breakeable parts."

Jump to page content