page content
Skip page content

Jelly Ball Removed from Colon

Specialists at Schneider Children’s successfully extracted an enlarged jelly ball from the colon of a one-year-old child who had been brought to the ER suffering from a swollen abdomen, vomiting and lethargy
Date: 26.04.18 | Update: 02.05.18


Specialists at Schneider Children’s removed an engorged jelly ball from the colon of a one-year-old child who had been brought to the ER suffering from a swollen abdomen, vomiting and lethargy.

An ultrasound performed by senior radiologist, Dr. Yaniv Lakovsky, showed a cyst blocking the colon. Following consultation with surgeons Dr. Arthur Baazov, Dr. Anastasia Almog and Dr. Michael Segal, the infant was rushed to the operating theater. Doctors were amazed to discover that the cyst was in fact an enlarged jelly ball that the child had swallowed. The ball had swelled in the bowel causing the blockage that endangered his life. In a delicate surgical procedure, Drs. Segal and Almog, assisted by anesthetist Dr. Meshullam Bechar, removed the jelly ball. The child was subsequently hospitalized in the Department of Surgery for observation and follow-up.

Last April 2017, a toddler of almost 3 years was brought to Schneider Children’s after swallowing 15 jelly balls. This incident also ended successfully without complications after doctors managed to remove the balls.

Dr. Almog noted that “these jelly balls, which expand inside the body, are dangerous and, like batteries or magnets, are a real threat to life. We caution parents again to pay attention and ensure that their children do not play with these small items. Parents must move them out of the reach of toddlers, since severe injury can result if they are swallowed.”

Jump to page content